First Time Teacher

Last week during my internship, my cooperating teacher asked me to teach for the very first time. I was completely taken by surprise. I had never taught alone before, and this was my first time ever being in a 5th grade classroom. I was overwhelmed, nervous, and a little bit panicky. My cooperating teacher gave me the lesson plan and stepped aside so that I could teach the class. It was only a quick 30 minute lesson, but boy did it feel like forever. When it was all said and done, my teacher told me I had actually done pretty well. She said that it takes time to learn what I am doing and nobody is good at something the first time they try it. Even the best teachers had a first day.

At first I was a little bit angry that my teaching just threw me into the water without any warning at all. Then, I realized what a blessing it actually was. During the rest of my teaching career I will faced with many unexpected challenges and situations and teaching a class unexpectedly is probably going to be the least crazy of them all! I thought about it for a moment and then began to thank my teacher for getting me used to this life so early. For helping to prepare me for my future and gave me a real life glimpse into my future. It really made me realize how lucky I am to go to Texas State where I am constantly surrounded by a community that is striving to help me succeed everyday....even if it does involve putting me into scary situations!

Xoxo - Lo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A truly exceptional teacher

Confide in Me

Crazy Thankful